Thursday, September 29, 2011

Reflections on Revision



It takes me a while to write a paper. For a three page paper, I usually need to set aside at least six hours. Writing is rather annoying to me, because it is such a timely process. I think I’m an okay writer, though. I think that what I write usually sounds intelligent, and I have an understanding of basic grammar and sentence structure.
I never revised in High School. I guess I just was never really forced to do so. Editing was passed off for revision. The first time I really revised was last summer, when I took English 101. I had to turn in two of my best papers for a final portfolio, worth 40% of my grade, so I was pretty motivated to really take a look at the papers and try to make them better. That is the first time I really noticed the value in revision, because I could tell that my papers had become much better when I was finished, and I got a 95% for my portfolio grade : ) Still if I can get away without revising, I’m not going to do it. I think this is OK because I am certainly not going to be an English Major. I am willing to revise when it’s necessary!
I haven’t gotten my graded essay back yet, so I am sure there are going to be some specific things I need to work on and I look forward to the feedback so that I can get started with a clearer idea of what I need to do. As far as my own plans, I will hopefully spend some major time on my thesis. I had a lot of great ideas in my first paragraph that I wanted to write about. I created a paragraph or paragraphs for each of those ideas within my paper, which created good content, but I don’t know what my thesis was really… out of all those ideas. I need a more specific purpose for the entirety of the paper.
The other thing I want to work on is making sure that all of the content of my paper is purposeful. Most of what I wrote is… but on the third page I did find myself struggling for length. I hope that I am able to do this revision and sit back afterwards, feeling I have made some really good changes. Fingers crossed.

Here's a video on how to do revision.

No comments:

Post a Comment