Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mid-Term Check In

Dear Mrs. Cline,
I believe that during the first half of English 102 I have been successful first and foremost with turning things in. I think that sometimes it is all too easy to feel the stress of an assignment and its due date and let it pass by altogether. I have not done that at all- I’ve turned in every assignment. I have been successful because I am reading the material and trying hard to come up with my own original conclusions, which I think you have encouraged us to do. I have also been successful because I want to receive a “good” grade, I hope that is evident.
Some of the challenges I have experienced definitely include weekly deadlines and feeling like I am never caught up. Though I have obviously been able to turn everything in, I always feel like I have never-ending work for this class. Though I do feel this to be a labor intensive course, in all fairness, the assignments are all already posted, and so I can’t claim to feeling like you pop surprises on us. I just don’t have enough time in my life to ever get ahead.
I’ve enjoyed all of the readings. It was neat to really analyze a poem (Field of Skulls), and that is perhaps my favorite thing I have read so far. Frankenstein was also good; I was pleasantly surprised with its readability. I feel much more informed about the true story now, and I am glad I’ve been able to drop all the myths about Frankenstein that I was previously carrying around with me. I am currently reading a collection of selected poems by William Carlos Williams, and enjoying it!
Literary analysis is… difficult. I feel like it has really only applied in my English classes, as my other classes often call for more of a report or summary. I can definitely recognize how when writing about literature, it’s often the truly appropriate way to do it. I have bettered my understanding of the process of literary analysis in this class.
During the second half of this course, I hope to make an effort to feel less behind all the time, should my busy schedule permit. I hope that I am truly pleased with my final project, and with my portfolio… looks like some major points are found in the portfolio grade. I will definitely try to revise to my full potential.
Sincerely,
Margaret Lind

2 comments:

  1. Hi Margaret. First, good job on turning every assignment in! I'll admit I have missed a few. I agree that the poem analyzing was the most interesting. I also enjoyed reading "Frankenstein" as well. Keep up the good work and I hope the rest of the semester goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with your letter! That's awesome you found the poem readable, I sure didn't! I too have turned in every assignment (as I type this at 11:55, for the second time). I think I also found Frankenstein the most interesting reading, and like yourself, also changed my opinion the further I ventured into spiraling story.

    ReplyDelete